Senior Software Engineer – Consulting team
Tarides is an international software company with offices in Cambridge (UK), Paris (France) and Chennai (India), founded in 2018 by pioneers of systems and functional programming. We have a worldwide presence with collaborators working remotely from the US, Australia, Canada, India, Japan, and across Europe. We have a solid academic background with connections to the University of Cambridge, Inria, and IIT Madras. Our diverse team of 60+ people performs groundbreaking innovation, feature development, and crucial maintenance of OCaml-based projects.
Some of those projects include the OCaml Platform, a series of crucial tools for OCaml at an industrial scale; MirageOS, an operating system that constructs unikernels for secure, high-performance applications; Irmin, a library for building mergeable, branchable distributed data stores, and the highly complex and award-winning Multicore project which will become part of the mainline OCaml compiler.
Tarides was previously part of the Founder program of Station F in 2018, and was selected for the “Concours d’Innovation i-Lab” organised by the French Ministry of Higher Education, Research, and Innovation in partnership with Bpifrance. Tarides was also recognised during the FIC (International Cybersecurity Forum) 2020 fair, the leading European event on cybersecurity. These awards acknowledge the high quality of the solutions developed by Tarides, and emphasise the interest they have gained from the cybersecurity community.
In 2022, OCaml Labs (a spinout from the University of Cambridge) and Segfault Systems (a spinout from IIT-Madras) both joined Tarides, aligning towards our mission: empowering developers, communities and organisations to adopt OCaml as their primary programming experience by providing training, expertise and development services.
Recently Tarides has decided to launch a new Consulting division. The division will focus on developing software products (tools, applications, unikernel packages and more) based on well defined client requirements on a project basis. As the division itself is brand new, many aspects (industry targets; type of solutions etc.) are still under development. As a result, new team members will not only be asked to work on client projects but will also be able to contribute to the growth of the new division.
We are looking for a skilled senior software engineer to maintain and develop solutions, tools and applications for clients using primarily the OCaml language.
As senior software engineer, you will work either as a member of a larger internal team or closely with client team members in order to:
- Contribute to scoping and estimating work requirements to deliver client projects
- Develop software solutions as per the work of scope document agreed with the client
- Document (or help to document) the developed project to ensure the client can use the delivered work in the most efficient way
Our consulting team members will have the opportunity to do more than just focusing on code in one narrow technology area.
- Value creation: They will be able to understand how our work creates value and so they will be able to recommend other areas where our unique skills can make our clients more successful.
- Experience different technology solutions areas: we will serve clients in different areas: consultants will be able to experience different types of coding challenges. The role will offer new experiences all the time!
- Grow with the team: we expect to see significant growth in the new Consulting area of Tarides. Growth will open many new ways to advance: advance to business areas to become a specialist; advance to become a Consulting Development Team Lead are some examples of growth.
- Become a coach / mentor of new(er) team members: you will be able to develop a team by coaching, sharing development and client skills
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Design, develop and maintain software solutions as per client requirements in a timely manner to ensure consulting projects are delivered as per contract terms
- Participate in the definition of technical roadmaps for the projects
- Ensure documentation is accurate and easy to use by client teams (and also internal teams)
- Proactively learn new technologies and skills (reading research papers, blog posts, experimenting with code, etc)
- Mentor junior members of the team
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to join our team. Ideally, you will have:
- Several years of experience as a software engineer working in functional programming languages or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrable experience related to delivering well-defined projects on time and with high quality
- Experience with GitHub, Git, and version control
- Experience with the OCaml platform ecosystem, as well as experience with building software developed in OCaml, Haskell, Rust, or other type-safe languages or willingness to learn.
- Planning skills
- Experience in technical writing (a plus)
- Good communication skills in English (English is the corporate language)
- Curious and solution-oriented mindset
- Experience of working in multidisciplinary teams
- UK, France, India, or remote.
What we offer
- An opportunity to have an impact in a growing company and change the industry to use safer, more reliable, and more performant tools.
- Nice offices in the center of Paris and Cambridge
- Flexibility to work remotely
- International team with 15 different nationalities
- Personal development coaching and mentoring
- Amazing health insurance, fully covered by Tarides for you and your family
- Two weeks off in addition to the legal
- Bonus scheme based on profit sharing
- Gym subscription & wellness activities
- Continuous training programs (language, feedback, time management, remote work...)
- Regular events with the whole team (Monthly All-Hands meeting, monthly team-building event, weekly apéro ...)
If shortlisted, you will have three online interviews starting with a general interview, followed by a case interview, and finally an interview with the team.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. We strive to create a representative, inclusive and friendly team because we know that different experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds make for a better workplace.
- Contract type: full-time
- Starting date: ASAP